This has got to be my all time favorite ice cream recipe! It’s from the Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream & Dessert Cookbook. First time ice cream makers, be prepared. Homemade ice cream is NOTHING like store bought. It tends to be richer and has more ice crystals in it than the factory made kind. But the flavor…oooh, the flavor! You’ll be in for a pleasant surprise. My best advice is to make sure you have everything prepared and have set aside a block of time ample enough to make your ice cream. You don’t want to rush it. And have towels ready….lots of towels.
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cp. sugar
- 2 cp. heavy whipping cream
- 1 cp. milk
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1/3 cp. sugar
- Juice from ½ a lemon (you may not think you need it, but it’s crucial to balance the ice cream)
- Mix the strawberries with the sugar and lemon juice. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for about 2 hours.
- Whisk the eggs for about 1-2 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Gradually whisk in sugar and whisk until well blended.
- Pour in the milk and cream and whisk until blended.
- Mash up the strawberries (I use a potato masher) and combine with the ice cream base you just made.
- Transfer the ice cream mix to your mixer and follow the instructions that came with your mixer.
- Freeze in the freezer for at least 4 hours to harden the ice cream.
- Serve and enjoy!